21 October 2010

Beet Hummus

We've been growing beets at our house since about May. They've been growing slowly, very slowly. Most of the year they've just been greens, but recently they've started to fatten up, at least some of them.
Ciara turned me onto Taste Spotting last year. It's basically a website that links to a bunch of food blogs. What I like most about the site is that you can search for dishes that have a certain ingredient in them, like beets, and it will give you a page or more of links to different blogs/recipes. It came in handy when we were getting a lot of produce from Organic to You and we didn't know what to do with it.

Taste Spotting is also a way to keep up on food trends. Yesterday I wanted to make some kale chips from some kale growing in our garden. I looked it up on Taste Spotting and found an obnoxious amount of blogs about kale chips. I guess kale chips are pretty trendy these days.

There is also a lot of blogs about beet hummus. I'm about to add to the list in a pretty lazy/easy way.

I made my beet hummus by wrapping two small beets in aluminum foil and baking them in the oven at 350 for an hour. I then peeled the beets and ran them through the food processor. Once the beets were cut up into mush, I added some store bought hummus to the food processor and blended it all together. The result is a sweet/savory hummus with a pretty rad color.I put my hummus on some Dave's Killer Bread and sprinkled some feta cheese on top. It was pretty good.

1 comment: