26 April 2011

99 Skills Challenge: #32 Make your own laundry soap

#32 Make your own laundry soap

We used up the last of our store-bought laundry detergent, so it's time to experiment with #32 on my 99 Skills Challenge list.  To read more about the challenge, click here.


The ingredients to the laundry detergent are very similar to the ones I used for my dishwasher powder.  The two additions are baking soda (which I had in the house) and Fels-Naptha bar soap, which I bought at the local grocery store, in the same isle as detergents and cleaners.  I used a recipe from Sew Much Ado.  There is also a liquid recipe that I will try in the future.  But for now, it's just the powder stuff.  I've done one load so far.  I normally use liquid detergents, but I threw the powder in with some water before the clothes, to make sure it was dissolved.  I also threw in half a cup of vinegar to the load for good measure.  So far, no complaints.


Homemade Laundry Detergent

1 bar Fels-Naptha Soap
1 cup Borax
1 cup Washing Soda
1/4 cup Baking Soda

1. Finely Grate Soap.  I used the grate attachment on my food processor.  Then I attached the regular blade and pulsed until it was finely grated.

2. Add Borax, Washing Soda, and Baking Soda.

3. Stir.  You want it to look like a well-blended powder.  I just added everything to the mason jar and shook it.  It took longer than expected.  In the future, I'll add everything back to the food processor and pulse.






Currently listening to:

No comments:

Post a Comment